From: Sam Vilain (sam_at_vilain.net)
Date: Thu 14 Feb 2002 - 19:23:48 GMT

On Wed, 6 Feb 2002 23:50:37 -0000
"John Lyons" <support_at_nsnoc.com> wrote:

> I didn't think that anyone was doing virtual hosting based on IP's
> anymore? We're using name based virtual hosting ie 1 ip to multiple
> domains. Can't see a lot of need for 1 ip per domain?

You need it for SSL. One hostname per certificate per IP; the
certificate, which is passed before any HTTP/1.1 host information is
exchanged, contains the host name. Browser response when the two don't
match varies from spitting up a nasty looking warning page to refusing to
load the site.

Sam.

Generated on Wed 06 Nov 2002 - 07:03:39 GMT by hypermail 2.1.3