From: klavs klavsen (kl_at_vsen.dk)
Date: Tue 05 Mar 2002 - 14:32:17 GMT

On Tue, 2002-03-05 at 14:17, Martin Josefsson wrote:
> On 5 Mar 2002, klavs klavsen wrote:
>
> > Hi guys,
> >
> > when I try to mount a directory under a vserver read-only it mounts
> > fine, and the mount command tells me it's read-only. However as root in
> > the vserver, I can edit and add files and directores just fine :-)
> >
> > Do any of you have experience with this? Or should I just forget about
> > the mount --bind - and keep duplicate directories?
>
> This is currently a limitation of the VFS in Linux. I began to start
> fixing it but then I ran into some more serious problems that need a
> smaller redesign of the VFS and I need to contact Al Viro for advice on
> how he wants it done (I know he wants this fixed). Maybe I'll get around
> to mail him soon. I hope so.
I hope so too.. Until then it seems I have to repartition my disk (which
for now has one big / and only a /var seperate partition - 3gb disk
only), or have duplicates and check for with diff once in a while..

I found this link (with some pointing from friends):
http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=en&selm=linux.kernel.Pine.LNX.4.33L.0110291504380.22127-100000%40duckman.distro.conectiva

it dates 29. oct 2001. according to it, something called a namespace
patch has to be integrated more into the kernel.

Do you know if this has been done?

--
Regards,
Klavs Klavsen

-------------| This mail has been sent to you by: |------------ Klavs Klavsen - Open Source Consultant kl_at_vsen.dk - http://www.vsen.dk

Get PGP key from www.keyserver.net - Key ID: 0x586D5BCA Fingerprint = A95E B57B 3CE0 9131 9D15 94DA E1CD 641E 586D 5BCA --------------------[ I believe that... ]----------------------- It is a myth that people resist change. People resist what other people make them do, not what they themselves choose to do... That's why companies that innovate successfully year after year seek their peopl's ideas, let them initiate new projects and encourage more experiments. -- Rosabeth Moss Kanter

Generated on Wed 06 Nov 2002 - 07:03:39 GMT by hypermail 2.1.3