From: Cédric Veilleux (cedric_at_neopeak.com)
Date: Tue 09 Apr 2002 - 08:41:27 BST

Hi,

        I have not a lot of experience with vservers, but simply from reading the
documentation, I've found a few important drawbacks:

Limiting resources:
        It is still not possible to tightly control the resources available for a
vserver (RAM, CPU, Disk Quota). Read the following page for more info on what
can be done and what can't:
http://www.solucorp.qc.ca/miscprj/s_context.hc?s1=4&s2=3&s3=0&s4=0&full=0&prjstate=1&nodoc=0

One IP address per vserver:
        An important drawback that will make a good part of your clients whine. It is
only possible to have 1 IP per vserver. So it is not possible to use IP based
virtual hosts in apache (required for SSL, etc..)

Although there are also very important advantages to the vserver and security
context solution. First of all it is open, and it can be used, with some
tweakings, with the distribution of your choice, which allow much more
flexibility. I am not a redhat fan and all other solutions I came accross are
based on redhat only.

I am interested in hearing the comments about other people on this subject as
well...

Thank you,

Cedric

On April 9, 2002 02:53 am, you wrote:
> Please accept my apologies if this is the wrong discussion in which to post
> this.
>
> Just wondering if anyone is attempting to use this method to offer hosting
> of something similar to a "virtual private server"? Are there any obvious
> drawbacks I'm missing?
>
> Regards,
>
> Philip

Generated on Wed 06 Nov 2002 - 07:03:40 GMT by hypermail 2.1.3