From: Lew Teck Kheng (lewtk_at_attglobal.net)
Date: Mon 29 Apr 2002 - 09:28:17 BST

hi all :

I am having problem with binding to a broadcast address at port 2xxxx.

I must said everything is working fine except this.

I have 2 NIC -- 1 is public and 1 is a private network IP
(192.168.100.32).

I have a process that startup from inittab and this process need to bind
to a udp port 20000 at address 192.168.100.255.

Sample output of netstat :
==============================
udp 0 0 192.168.100.32:20000 0.0.0.0:*
udp 0 0 192.168.100.255:20000 0.0.0.0:*

This process worked fine on the second NIC card but not on vserver and I
get this error :

"failed: bind() failed: Cannot assign requested address"

Below is my conf for the vserver :

IPROOT=192.168.100.33
IPROOTDEV=eth1
IPROOTMASK=255.255.255.0
ONBOOT=yes
S_CAPS="CAP_NET_RAW CAP_NET_BIND_SERVICE CAP_NET_BROADCAST
CAP_NET_ADMIN"
S_HOSTNAME=arsenic
S_FLAGS="nproc sched fakeinit"

Do i miss anything or this is the limitation of the current vserver ?

Many many thanks

Cheers