From: James MacLean (macleajb_at_ednet.ns.ca)
Date: Thu 09 May 2002 - 00:38:57 BST

On Wed, 8 May 2002, Jacques Gelinas wrote:

> > Possibly totally unrelated but this past weekend I went through an
> > exercise to get CUPS running in a vserver. One big hangup was that CUPS is
> > hardcoded everywhere to talk via localhost. In cup's case, it wasn't just
> > the host 'localhost' or the ip '127.0.0.1' but the hex coded localhost
> > '0x7f000001' everywhere :(.
> >
> > So I've been setting /etc/hosts to say that localhost is actually the
> > vserver's IP.
>
> Newer ctx kernel handle this 127.0.0.1 -> iproot address translation on
> the fly. Which kernel were you using ?

Hi Jacques,

Actually I would have been trying it originally on a 2.4.18 + ctx-10. Now
that time has past I'm unsure exactly what led me to force the localhosts
all to local vserver IP, but I certainly remember it fixed it ;). I think
the problem was always showing itself when you used the web interface to
add a printer. It would appear to stall, and I seemed to remember it was
(according to strace maybe) to be trying to do something using 127.0.0.1
and getting an error something like permission denied.

So I thought I would just setup the obvious settings in the code to be the
local IP instead of 127.0.0.1. That's when I also noticed it was hardcoded
in quite a few places in hex, and after altering them, it worked.

Now chances are you'll be able to do a default CUPS install and not have
the same problem :(. I'm currently running ctx-10 on 2.4.19-pre8, and I
could probably bring it up and see if it shows up again if you can not see
it on your end.

JES

--
James B. MacLean        macleajb_at_ednet.ns.ca
Department of Education

Generated on Wed 06 Nov 2002 - 07:03:40 GMT by hypermail 2.1.3