From: Jon Bendtsen (jon+vserver_at_silicide.dk)
Date: Fri 10 May 2002 - 16:10:06 BST

Fran Firman wrote:

> Performance on our system seems fine.
>
> Thou I do shift /tmp to the local harddrive.
>
> for a time dd if=/dev/zero of=blah bs=1k count=100k
>
> (create a 100 MByte file takes)
>
> On the nfs array = 21.66s
>
> On the local HD = 15.4s

100% = 15.4
1% = 0.154
140.64935% = 21.66seconds

not that bad, but not good enough. This is one big file,
depending on the service type, you have lots of small files,
or has to do pretty random access. I would asume the startup
overhead of getting the first few bytes over NFS is much
higher than from the disk. But perhaps the added benefit of
a single backup place and the ease of moving a vserver to
another host makes running vservers on NFS the best solution.

It has made me rethink an old idea I had myself. My idea was
to create bootable cd images useable for turning any linux
installation into a vserver, to try it out. Possibly this
could be coupled with your idea, so one could get a really
fast deployment.

JonB

Generated on Wed 06 Nov 2002 - 07:03:40 GMT by hypermail 2.1.3