From: Jacques Gelinas (jack_at_solucorp.qc.ca)
Date: Wed 29 May 2002 - 07:51:55 BST

On Sat, 18 May 2002 20:53:40 -0500, Magnus Byrkjeflot wrote
> Hello.
>
> I have setup vserver on my RH7.3 Athlon system, and I'm having problems
> with something that looks like memory leaks.
> The system boots up fine with 50MB memory usage, but when I start one or
> two vservers the memory usage jumps to 600MB. I've got 1G memory
> installed, and have compiled the kernel with big memory support..

What do you get if you execute the free command

The important information is the last column of the -/+buffer line
For example, on my notebook with 192meg, I have this

                      total used free shared buffers cached
Mem: 190996 176900 14096 0 1752 39684
-/+ buffers/cache: 135464 55532
Swap: 136512 11228 125284

I tells me that 55meg are still not used, yet only 14meg are free. The difference
is in the cache. Linux (the kernel) caches as much as it can.

Is this what you see ?