From: Jacques Gelinas (jack_at_solucorp.qc.ca)
Date: Wed 03 Jul 2002 - 00:45:17 BST

On Tue, 2 Jul 2002 09:59:51 -0500, Cathy Sarisky wrote
> Hello!
>
> I'm about to start playing with vserver, and need to run aolserver and
> postgresql within a vserver. I wonder if anyone has tried either of these
> programs within a vserver, if they worked, and if there was anything special
> you had to do to get "normal" operation.

postgresql work out of the box with a recent vserver kernel (around ctx-7 or 8)

> Also, on a sort of related question: Can a vserver make tcp connections to
> another vserver on the same physical machine?

Yes

> Or to the host?

Yes

It is forced to use it own IP as the source. It can't bind to any other, so can't hide
itself.

> I'm guessing
> the traffic goes out to the router, and then right back to the same physical
> machine?

No. The packet won't reach outside. From the kernel point of view, all these address
are local, so nothing goes to the wire.

You can (we do that all the time) create firewalls on the root server, controlling
which vserver talk to which, using which service and so on.