From: Jacques Gelinas (jack_at_solucorp.qc.ca)
Date: Fri 19 Jul 2002 - 21:06:42 BST

On Thu, 18 Jul 2002 19:36:24 -0500, Jason Silverglate wrote
> I get the below when running that the following command.
>
> root_at_woof [/etc/rc.d/init.d]# chbind --ip 209.X.X.194 /etc/rc.d/init.d/sshd
> start
> Can't set the ipv4 root (Operation not permitted)

There are two reasons why it may happen ?

The current process is already bound to an IP. Only root in the root server is
allowed to override that.

Or you do not have the CAP_NET_ADMIN privilege.

Or (I know, I know, this is the third), there are already some IPs bound to this
process, but 209.x.x.194 is not one of them. A vserver may have up to 16 IP and this
is always possible for a process to select a subset of those IPs.