From: Paul Sladen (vserver_at_paul.sladen.org)
Date: Fri 16 Aug 2002 - 06:04:14 BST

On Thu, 15 Aug 2002 vserver-list_at_azera.net wrote:

> have you thought about adding 3ware (and possibly other) support into your
> precompiled kernels?

Jack's precompiled kernels I believe are there as a convenience, for
example, to allow you to do a quick tastier. As you are probably aware,
hardly anyone producing patches makes ready-to-run kernels available.

If you are doing *any* serious work at all you should really be recompiling
your own kernels (or at least employing somebody who is able) to match your
relevant configuration(s). I think you'll find it's remarkably pleasant and
probably easier than you thought:

To apply a patch:

  # cd /usr/src/linux-2.4.19/
  # patch -p1 < ../patch-2.4.19ctx12

To compile a kernel:

  # make menuconfig
  # make dep
  # make modules bzImage

Imagine the requests to patch/compile/include every-single obscure device
driver in the quick pre-compiled download... :)

Hope this helps,
        -Paul

--
Nottingham, GB