From: Paul Sladen (vserver_at_paul.sladen.org)
Date: Wed 09 Oct 2002 - 10:11:27 BST

On Wed, 9 Oct 2002, Georges Toth wrote:
> yesterday i thought my problems with logins not working, were solved,
> [..] ssh-root login works, but any other login doesn't work.

Is there any error-output from using `-v' to SSH:

  $ ssh -v user_at_vserver

> in fact NO program works which accesses files.

Is this even when you've logged in as root to the vserver?

> and even if logged in as root, and the user variable in shell,

Are you definitely ``root'' within the vserver; what does this show:

  $ grep -A99 s_context /proc/self/status

> actions like hostname, end with an "must be root" error.

They don't care about the environment ("USER="), only the numeric user id,
which you can find out by doing (is this zero?):

  $ id

> and logs are filled with "cannot open file, permission denied" errors.

Can you create/view files with simple utilities like:

  $ touch test-file
  $ cat > test-file-2
  $ cat /etc/passwd

> (machine running kernel2.4.19+xfs+vserver, devfs, /dev/pts, latest stable
> libs,...)

Is there a conflict with devfs and it's handling of `/dev' nodes?
Are other people running with devfs successfully? I really have no
idea how it works /within/ vservers...

        -Paul

--
Nottingham, GB