From: Klavs Klavsen (kl_at_vsen.dk)
Date: Mon 14 Oct 2002 - 13:36:56 BST

On Sun, 13 Oct 2002 02:45:26 -0400
Cedric Veilleux <cedric_at_neopeak.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I know some work is being done to port utilities to debian. I am
> working on
> porting to Gentoo linux.
>
> The vunify, vfiles and vbuild utilities would have to, somehow,
> determine
> which kind of vservers they are dealing with. This also applies to
> vrpm, although this one would ideally have to be renamed to avoid
> confusion. There are several solutions:
>
> 1- Additional --pkgtype option. Values would be rpm, deb or gentoo.
> Defaults to rpm.
>
> 2- New configuration option. For each vserver, a DISTRIBUTION variable
> could be added to the config file of each vserver.

I like this idea best - especially if one added a test (option 3-so it
could auto-configure) for what distro it was.

> 3- Guessing. The utilities could look at the files inside the vserver
> and guess the distro used.
>

> Any other suggestions? What would be the best?

I was thinking you could use epm (the gentoo rpm equivalent - except it
doesn't have --verify) - this way it would be the exact same options as
for RedHat.

What do you think?

--
Regards,
Klavs Klavsen

-------------| This mail has been sent to you by: |------------ Klavs Klavsen - Open Source Consultant klavs_at_EnableIT.dk - http://www.EnableIT.dk

Get PGP key from www.keyserver.net - Key ID: 0x586D5BCA Fingerprint = A95E B57B 3CE0 9131 9D15 94DA E1CD 641E 586D 5BCA ---------------------[ I think that... ]----------------------- Working with Unix is like wrestling a worthy opponent. Working with windows is like attacking a small whining child who is carrying a .38. -- Unknown

Generated on Wed 06 Nov 2002 - 07:03:43 GMT by hypermail 2.1.3