From: Klavs Klavsen (kl_at_vsen.dk)
Date: Tue 15 Oct 2002 - 08:15:06 BST

On Mon, 14 Oct 2002 15:37:21 -0400
Cedric Veilleux <cedric_at_neopeak.com> wrote:

> > I was thinking you could use epm (the gentoo rpm equivalent - except
> > it doesn't have --verify) - this way it would be the exact same
> > options as for RedHat.
> >

> That's an excellent suggestion. I was not aware of this tool. I read
> some documentation about it and it does not seem to produce the same
> output as the real rpm does and it doesn't support everything..

Perhaps we should raise this question in the Gentoo developer forum? The
idea of the tool was to mimick rpm, so perhaps a (small?) change to it,
would be something they would gladly help with - this way supporting
Gentoo would be made easier? Also they have probably got a lot of good
thoughts on this subject too.

> One thing it can do though is list the configuration files seperately,
> which is very important when unifying packages, we don't want to unify
> config files. vunify runs
>
> "rpm -ql --dump package-version"
>
> On gentoo, this does not produce what we want. Although we can find
> the files to unify by running:
>
> # epm -ql vcron
> /var/spool/cron/crontabs
[SNIP]
> /etc/crontab
>
> and then substracting the files that appear in this list too:
>
> # epm -qc vcron
> /etc/cron.d/.keep
> /etc/init.d/vcron
> /etc/crontab
>
> Only "epm" can list config files seperatly. Although as you can see,
> config files on gentoo are simply all files in /etc (or other
> directories included in CONFIG_PROTECT).

Can it be any other way? does BSD handle this any better? /etc is the
correct place anyways.

> My work on porting to gentoo is progressing. The unify part is
> probably what I will do last since my gentoo vservers are not that big
> anyways (300-400 MB). I found a very elegant way of building gentoo
> vserver. I will create a stage1 tarball with a special "vserver"
> profile. As you may know, profiles under gentoo are used to port to
> different architectures. The profile will have all hardware/kernel
> related things stripped. Also baselayout will be replaced by a new
> package, v_baselayout. This package will set the basic /etc/init.d/
> scripts properly as well as /etc/fstab, /sbin/rc and various other
> things.
>
> Creating a new vserver will be much like installing gentoo. Extract
> the tarball in /vservers/blah, chroot in it, bootstrap and "emerge
> system".

Sounds great - except I would very much like to have an option for
emerging of the new system, to use the packages from the root-server (I
always emerge with --buildpkg, so I have all the super-optimized
packages compiled for my system in /usr/portage/packages/All/
(wouldn't wan't to recompile them all for no appearent reason :-)

--
Regards,
Klavs Klavsen

-------------| This mail has been sent to you by: |------------ Klavs Klavsen - Open Source Consultant klavs_at_EnableIT.dk - http://www.EnableIT.dk

Get PGP key from www.keyserver.net - Key ID: 0x586D5BCA Fingerprint = A95E B57B 3CE0 9131 9D15 94DA E1CD 641E 586D 5BCA ---------------------[ I think that... ]----------------------- Working with Unix is like wrestling a worthy opponent. Working with windows is like attacking a small whining child who is carrying a .38. -- Unknown

Generated on Wed 06 Nov 2002 - 07:03:43 GMT by hypermail 2.1.3