From: Jerker Nyberg (jerker_at_update.uu.se)
Date: Sat 19 Oct 2002 - 12:19:21 BST

Hello,

Well, they have to make a living, and unless they don't break GPL it's ok.
When you pay 3000 USD they cannot stop you from distributing the source
for the GPLed parts, but if I were them I wouldn't GPL the
helper/managing-applications and without them the GPLed parts would not be
so interesting.

I hope their product help more people use and like virtual dedicated
servers, since I think it's an excellent idea. That would get more people
to use Vserver and user-mode-Linux and such projects. Hopefully soon the
capabilities in the normal Linux kernel will be good enough to use for
virtual dedicated servers.

Regards,
Jerker Nyberg.
Uppsala, Sweden.

On Sat, 19 Oct 2002, Ralf Dreibrodt wrote:

> hi,
>
> i just wanted to ask whether you know something about the project virtuozzo?
> well, the use a kernel-patch, it is like your, but with one or two features
> more.
> they say they distribute the kernel-patch, but they refuse to send it to me,
> i can only get precompiled kernels.
> they also use a tool, which has the following options:
>
> server start
> server stop
> server restart
> server running
> server enter
> server exec some commands ...
> server service service-name start/stop/restart/status
> server status
> (server suexec user some commands ... ) <- donīt know, whether this command
> exists.
>
> btw, they charge about $3000 for the precompiled kernels and the user tool
> ;)
> http://www.sw-soft.com/vpspromo
>
> Thanks for your answers.
>
> Regards,
> Ralf

Generated on Wed 06 Nov 2002 - 07:03:43 GMT by hypermail 2.1.3