From: Jacques Gelinas (jack_at_solucorp.qc.ca)
Date: Thu 14 Nov 2002 - 05:00:13 GMT

On Fri, 28 Jun 2002 08:45:00 -0500, Roderick A. Anderson wrote
> This is a little off-topic and may actually apply more to a non-vserver
> system.
>
> In a fit of newbie-ism/madness I created a 'remotely located' system with
> multiple partitions thinking to enforce quotas that way. Of course to use
> unification this doesn't work very well.
> I was thinking I'd run partd and glob those partions back into one big
> one and then be able to use unification. The last time I read up on partd
> there was some CYA about tunning it on an running system. Has anyone on
> the list used partd - tried it on a running system?

You can use fdisk on a running system any time. If you do not mess with
mounted partition (or partition you want to keep), then there is no problems.

There is one little issue. If you use fdisk on a disk with already mounted partition
you will need to reboot for the kernel to reload the new partition layout. If the
disk is not mounted at all, then the kernel will accept the reload request
from fdisk.