From: Herbert Poetzl (herbert_at_13thfloor.at)
Date: Wed 27 Nov 2002 - 20:39:50 GMT

On Wed, Nov 27, 2002 at 12:13:15PM -0800, Cathy Sarisky wrote:
> PI space?
> all IPs start with 3.14...? :)

good interpretation ...

Provider Independent address space ...
RFC1466bis, ripe-104++

Provider Independent Address Space

    Contrary to PA address space, PI address space remains
    assigned to its user as long as the criteria for the
    original assignment are met independently of the use
    of a particular provider's services. Frequently PI
    addresses are not even assigned by providers but by
    other Internet registries. The apparent advantage of
    PI address space is that the user does not have to
    reconfigure their hosts and routers if they decide to
    leave a particular service provider. However, PI
    addresses are expensive to route because no use can be
    made of aggregation. All early Internet address space
    assignments were provider independent. Many assign-
    ments made by ISPs are also formally provider indepen-
    dent because they lack the clear prior understanding
    between ISP and customer that the assignment will end
    with the termination of the service.

> From: Paul Sladen <vserver_at_paul.sladen.org>
> Date: Wed, 27 Nov 2002 20:02:42 +0000 (GMT)
>
> >On Wed, 27 Nov 2002, Cathy Sarisky wrote:
> >
> >> I'm re-IPing because I'm moving to a different bandwidth provider
> >
> >Hint: PI space. No renumbering problems ever again...!
> >
> > -Paul
> >--
> >Nottingham, GB

> Sent via the WebMail system at webmail.pioneernet.net

Generated on Wed 27 Nov 2002 - 21:08:26 GMT by hypermail 2.1.3