From: John Goerzen (jgoerzen_at_complete.org)
Date: Tue 03 Dec 2002 - 14:37:48 GMT

In article <Pine.LNX.4.21.0212030924190.9048-100000_at_starsky.19inch.net>, Paul Sladen wrote:
> On Tue, 3 Dec 2002, Ola Lundqvist wrote:
>> On Mon, Dec 02, 2002 at 04:13:21PM -0600, John Goerzen wrote:
>> > it does not allow the second and subsequent interfaces to have a netmask or
>> > broadcast address different from the first.
>
> It was originally designed for just hooking the all-ones broadcast address
> (for running dhcpd) and that was just an extension of the set_ipv4root()
> interface only allowing a single address at the time

Hmm. Here are two things I'd like to do:

1. Run vserver on machines with two physical Ethernet connections, each
   on a physically different network with different address space.
   (Such as one being for an internal network and one for an external)

2. Run several vservers on a single machine, and use the Linux "dummy"
   driver to give them a way to communicate with each other without
   using the system's Ethernet interface -- but still give some of them an IP
   address on that Ethernet.

I have tried to set up #2 so far. I can get things working when each
vserver has a single IP address. However, when I set them up with multiple
IP addresses, I get a lot of problems:

1. The interfaces all have the broadcast and netmask of the first one.

   I have gone in with ifconfig to fix this, to no avail.

2. All packets going out of the vserver have the source IP address
   set to the first IPROOT address specified, regardless of which interface
   they're going to.

   I can find no way to fix this, and it makes the second and
   additional interfaces totally unusable.

Is it possible to fix this without too much effort? Is there any known
workaround?

Thanks!

-- John

> My reckoning on this when I last emailed Jacques was that there was no need
> for the IPROOTMASK--allowing IPROOT="... eth0:10.0.0.255" should be enough.
>
> -Paul

Generated on Fri 13 Dec 2002 - 03:49:14 GMT by hypermail 2.1.3