From: Jacques Gelinas (jack_at_solucorp.qc.ca)
Date: Mon 09 Dec 2002 - 17:08:24 GMT

On Sat, 7 Dec 2002 00:08:04 -0500, Brian Ipsen wrote
> Hi!
>
> One more newbiw question: How come that the shutdown for a virtual host
> gives me an error on the kernel logger ? Should the kernel logger be
> disabled on each vserver ?
>
> # vserver mysql stop
> Stopping the virtual server mysql
> Server mysql is running
> ipv4root is now 192.168.225.71
> New security context is 2
> Stopping sshd: [ OK ]
> Stopping crond: [ OK ]
> Shutting down kernel logger: [FAILED]
> Shutting down system logger: [ OK ]
> Starting killall: [ OK ]
> sleeping 5 seconds
> Killing all processes
> kill -TERM /vservers/mysql/sbin/minilogd[816]

On redhat (at least), the same service syslog starts both the kernel logger and normal
syslog daemon. There is no easy way in redhat, beside changing the
/etc/init.d/syslog script, to fix that. So the service tries to start klogd and it fails
(but it does not report it, klogd starts and fail later).

Later, when it tries to stop it, it fails because klogd was not running.

It is a cosmetic bug. With the advent of vserver, distribution will probably move
to 2 independant services, one for syslog and one for klogd, so we will be able to
enable them separatly (although klogd needs syslog to work).