From: Paul Sladen (vserver_at_paul.sladen.org)
Date: Mon 16 Dec 2002 - 15:44:50 GMT

On Mon, 16 Dec 2002, Adam H. Pendleton wrote:
> The `vserver <name> build` operation worked great, with one problem [..]
>
> A `vserver <name> stop` operation runs [..] `/etc/init.d/network stop`,
> which kills all network connectivity to the box!!

This should fail in a vserver (or have you given the vserver more
capabilites like CAP_NET_ADMIN to allow it access to the kernel
networking interfaces that are otherwise denied)?

> I assume the only way to prevent this is to delete/modify /etc/init.d/

Best to delete them (or rather the runlevel sysvinit symlinks to them).
My Debian install script currently does `update-rc.d foo remove' on:

  klogd hwclock.sh setserial urandom networking umountfs halt reboot

(Anything related to hardware or kernel management which is going to fail
anyway just sitting there and timing out).

        -Paul

--
Nottingham, GB