From: Herbert Poetzl (herbert_at_13thfloor.at)
Date: Tue 17 Dec 2002 - 23:52:17 GMT

On Tue, Dec 17, 2002 at 02:32:54PM -0800, Roderick A. Anderson wrote:
> While attempting to update some vservers I'm getting the error 'error: Can
> not open Packages index using db3 - permission denied (13)' followed by a
> similar message for the database file when I use vrpm.
>
> This is a RHL 7.3 - server install, Vserver 0.22, kernel 2.4.19ctx-15,
> Linuxconf 1.29r3, and the vserver RPMs.
>
> I created the base vserver using LC and doing a RHL7.3m (minimal) install
> and created the other vservers using the base vserver and specifying
> unified file system.
> Additionally when I check the files in /vserver/base/var/lib/rpm I see
> all the files are owned by rpm with a group of rpm.
>
> Is this a missed update? I'm close to removing the non-base vserver and
> doing all the updates from inside there then re-creating the other
> vservers. This will work for the immediate future but I'd prefer to
> update the vservers with vrpm and then do a re-unification.

I would check for two things

- take a look at the vrpm script and make sure that
  'chmod 0600 /vservers' is there ...
  check the permissions below /vservers they should
  allow read and execute for root ...

- remove (if present) the files
  /vservers/<yourserver>/var/lib/rpm/__db.001
  /vservers/<yourserver>/var/lib/rpm/__db.002

if both does not work/match, please install strace
and make a strace -f vrpm/rpm available ...