From: Paul Sladen (vserver_at_paul.sladen.org)
Date: Fri 31 Jan 2003 - 19:10:02 GMT

On Sat, 28 Dec 2002, Burak BASKAN wrote:
> Using 2.4.20 kernel; what is the default file-nr value? And what is the
> normal max. value for 1gb p1.5mhz machine?

There are no real ``suggested normal values''.

> cat /proc/sys/fs/file-nr
> 7161 1452 10240

> When i compile new kernel, the max value is about 103xxx and it looks
> very big for me, and i modify it as 10240.

I run my boxes with it at `131072'--I don't know that 10k files handles will
get you that far.

Again it entirely depends on your setup and what your vservers are running;
I've just looked and I'm capping the file handles at ~1000/vserver and they
appear to be using 500-800 on average (total divided by running vservers).

        -Paul

--
Nottingham, GB