From: Jacques Gelinas (jack_at_solucorp.qc.ca)
Date: Thu 13 Feb 2003 - 23:23:43 GMT

On Thu, 13 Feb 2003 12:13:05 -0500, Stefano wrote

> "Plex86 has been completely overhauled, and simplified to be a user (application)
> code only Virtual Machine technology. For running user code, many of the heavy weight
> x86-VM techniques are unnecessary. But the bonus is, Linux can easily be made to run
> inside the plex86 VM, so that the kernel is actually 'pushed down' to user privilege
> level. This has been demonstrated on both Linux 2.4 and 2.5 kernels. Thus, Linux can
> run in a plex86 VM without the need for any heavy virtualization. My goal is to keep
> the code base trim, tight, auditable and get to usable releases quickly. And to favor
> those goals over adding unnecessary complexities. The first milestones have just been
> reached, so it's still early in development. There are email lists available on the
> main plex86 site."

This is interesting, but suffers from the same problem all other vm out there.
You are running one kernel per vserver and this is costly. Further, you lack
the ability to monitor each vserver without opening special monitoring services
in each. You can't share the disk space as well, since each vserver is managing
its own file system.