From: Herbert Poetzl (herbert_at_13thfloor.at)
Date: Mon 24 Feb 2003 - 15:09:55 GMT

On Mon, Feb 24, 2003 at 03:30:29PM +0100, Christian Mayrhuber wrote:
> Am Montag, 24. Februar 2003 15:07 schrieb Martin List-Petersen:
> > Citat Christian Mayrhuber <christian.mayrhuber_at_gmx.net>:
> >
> > A 403 forbidden means, that your apache is working, actually, but you don't
> > have any index.html and Indexing is disabled in you root web directory.
> >
> > I could also be, that the user, your Apache runs under (usually www-data on
> > Debian) has no read-rights on you root web directory.
> >
> > This has nothing to do with vserver.
> >
> Indexing is enabled, it has a index.html in there and the DocumentRoot rights are
> 0777.

check which user/group apache uses, (usually http or apache)
and 'su' to that account (in the virtual server), then
try to access the index file with ls and cat, if both
works as expected, then look for a .htaccess file in this
directory restricting access, and of course look at the
apache log files ... access and error