From: Herbert Poetzl (herbert_at_13thfloor.at)
Date: Mon 24 Feb 2003 - 19:55:03 GMT

On Mon, Feb 24, 2003 at 02:14:18PM -0500, Jacques Gelinas wrote:
> On Mon, 24 Feb 2003 02:44:02 -0500, Roderick A. Anderson wrote
> > Anyone have some instruction on building the ctx kernel from scratch on a
> > Redhat (preferable 8.0) system. I really need to add a NIC driver but
> > every attempt to build it on it's own has failed so far. A simple make in
> > hte directory with the source code give lots o symbol errors - along with
> > some others that make no-darn-sense.
>
> I suggest you pick the kernel from ftp.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/v2.4
>
> Unpack this in /usr/src/linux-2.4.20
> Create a link from /usr/src/linux -> /usr/src/linx-2.4.20
> Apply the ctx path
> Use the config-2.4.20 from the ftp site as a start to configure the kernel
> Compile it and install it and boot it.
>
> Then tries to install the NIC driver. Many external module do not install
> properly if /usr/src/linux does not correspond to the running kernel.

and do not forget that some distributions *smile*
have separate packages for kernel headers, which
are installed in /usr/include/linux and /usr/include/asm
and usually those include files do not match with
any (read vanilla) kernel ...

in this case, you could rename the directories
in /usr/include/ to linux.orig, asm.orig and
create symbolic links to the kernel include files

# ln -s ../src/linux/include/linux /usr/include/linux
# ln -s ../src/linux/include/asm /usr/include/asm