From: Eje Gustafsson (macahan_at_fament.com)
Date: Fri 07 Mar 2003 - 02:17:35 GMT

Switched out my DLink 530+ card to a card with a
National Semiconductor Corporation DP83815 chipset.

My compiled 2.4.20ctx-16 kernel where I enabled this network device
and disable USB and soundcard drivers.
What seemed to kill the box before now don't kill it. With the
downloaded ctx-16 kernel I would only be able to run for a short
period before it would crash it seemed.
However I see one difference now.
I keep getting entries in the syslog similar to this one
kernel: eth0: increased Tx threshold, txcfg 0xd0f01016.
(everytime 2 bits higher txcfg value then the last one)
I had 10 of them so far (didn't have any of them before).
This might really don't mean nothing but I know it seemed before that
the crashes would occur when you had heavily or rapid network
traffic.

Hope this does it and if it does that it helps someone else.

Best regards,
 Eje Gustafsson mailto:MacAhan_at_fament.com
The Family Entertainment Network http://www.fament.com
Phone : 620-231-7777 Fax : 620-231-4066
     - Your Full Time Professionals -
eBay UserID : macahan

--
EG> I had the kernel panics with 2.4.20ctx-16 no SCSI but ext3 is used.

EG> / Eje

EG> Monday, March 3, 2003, 12:20:59 PM, you wrote:

RAA>> In a previous message or two I whined and sniveled about not having a NIC RAA>> driver. Jacques and Herbert offered some excellant suggestions and I amd RAA>> now in the process of re-building the 2.4.20ctx-16 kernel. Since I'm RAA>> mostly a user I haven't followed all the discussions about the ctx-16 RAA>> lockup issue(s) and am afraid I'm going to get bitten by this since my RAA>> memory says it has to do with ext3 files systems and possibly SCSI RAA>> systems.

RAA>> So after all this drivel I would like some thoughts on customized RAA>> (_really customized_) ctx kernels! Would some of my problems with SCSI go RAA>> away if I went with the SCSI drivers compiled in verses as modules? are RAA>> there any tricks to determine what can be left out and what can't.

RAA>> I just saw the following message while doing a make module_install

RAA>> depmod: *** Unresolved symbols in /lib/modules/2.4.20ctx-16/kernel/fs/jfs/jfs.o RAA>> depmod: IS_IMMUTABLE

RAA>> Since I deleted all the messages that deal with this can anyone offer me a RAA>> Reader's Digest version of what needs to be done?

RAA>> TIA, RAA>> Rod

EG> Best regards, EG> Eje Gustafsson mailto:MacAhan_at_fament.com EG> --- EG> The Family Entertainment Network http://www.fament.com EG> Phone : 620-231-7777 Fax : 620-231-4066 EG> eBay UserID : macahan EG> - Your Full Time Professionals -

EG> --- EG> [This E-mail scanned for viruses by Declude Virus]

EG> --- EG> [This E-mail scanned for viruses by Declude Virus]

--- [This E-mail scanned for viruses by Declude Virus]

Generated on Fri 07 Mar 2003 - 02:57:08 GMT by hypermail 2.1.3