From: Eje Gustafsson (Macahan_at_fament.com)
Date: Thu 20 Mar 2003 - 16:41:10 GMT

ctx13 seems to be the most stable. I had lot of troubles with ctx15
and ctx16.

Also one thing to know about is if your planning to use RH 8 is that
MySQL is currently "broken" and will crash if you try to connect to
the mysql server over the network. Runs great from a local php
webserver or from CLI but when you connect to mysql over the network
mysql server will crash. I tested this on numerous different RH8
systems with different Linux distro clients as well windows clients.

Donwloading the latest MySQL server from www.mysql.com fixes the
problem but then you will not be able to use up2date or apt-get to
update.

/ Eje

Thursday, March 20, 2003, 2:24:15 AM, you wrote:

DA> Dear List,

DA> In a business environment with several users (or even several businesses),
DA> the vserver system seems to be an ideal way to isolate the different
DA> subsystems that are used in businesses, in order to avoid possible
DA> downtime caused by (re)installation/reconfiguration of services or even
DA> hacking and bugs. E.g our idea is to install one vserver for each service,
DA> which might be mysql, IMAP/POP3, SMTP, webserver, file sharing, etc.

DA> The latest reports on stability problems like kernel crashes and panics has
DA> so far scared me from installing the system in this way, and I might rather
DA> go for a setup that distributes the the services on several machines
DA> instead. Due to the increased hardware costs and physical room space
DA> considerations, this will not be an ideal solution.

DA> Are there any experienced vserver users out there that could summarise the
DA> pros and (especially) cons for vserver based on the current Linux kernel
DA> patches, and any possible stable fixes?

DA> Stability is the highest requirement for my setup, and any hints on what to
DA> do (or NOT do) with vserver to get a "100% stable" system are highly
DA> appreciated.

DA> Best regards
DA> Tor Rune Skoglund
DA> torrunes_at_datakompaniet.no

DA> ---
DA> [This E-mail scanned for viruses by Declude Virus]

Best regards,
 Eje Gustafsson mailto:MacAhan_at_fament.com

---
The Family Entertainment Network      http://www.fament.com
Phone : 620-231-7777                  Fax   : 620-231-4066
eBay UserID : macahan
          - Your Full Time Professionals -

--- [This E-mail scanned for viruses by Declude Virus]

Generated on Thu 20 Mar 2003 - 17:12:40 GMT by hypermail 2.1.3