From: Mike Savage (Mike.Savage_at_datastream.net)
Date: Wed 26 Mar 2003 - 21:07:34 GMT

I too would greatly appreciate a RedHat AS 2.1 vserver patch...I would
attempt to do it myself, but I am not a proficient kernel programmer.

The 2.4.9 kernel that is supplied with RedHat AS 2.1 is far from a vanilla
kernel. In particular it, includes the 2.4.9-ac10 patch, as well as
backports of various subsystem components from kernel versions up to 2.4.18.
This kernel also includes substantial internal reworkings, including async
io support, among other things.

RedHat has released an updated kernel SRPM for RedHat AS 2.1. It can be
found here:
http://rpmfind.net/linux/redhat/updates/enterprise/2.1AS/en/os/SRPMS/kernel-
2.4.18-e.25.src.rpm

Using rpm2cpio and then cpio, one can crack open the SRPM and take a look at
the code and patches for the latest RedHat AS 2.1 kernel. This kernel would
would probably be a better candidate for any potential vserver patches, were
anyone to undertake this endeavor. It appears that RedHat has started with
a vanilla 2.4.18 kernel and then applies the 2.4.19-pre10-ac2 patch before
including various other subsystem patches.

My reason for wanting a RedHat AS kernel is that my company uses Oracle
products that require RedHat AS 2.1. I have SCSI arrays with hundreds of
GBs of space...but I have limited physical machines. It would be great to
use vserver to partition up different machines into separate vservers for
different Oracle products. Also, some products I also use, ie. JBoss 2.4.x,
have no way to bind to a single IP address. Thus, I can not run multiple
installations of JBoss 2.4.x on a single server without using vserver to
compartmentalize my physical server into separate JBoss vserver containers.

I started a similar thread a while back, however, I got no takers on trying
to get anywhere with achieving a vserver patch for RedHat AS 2.1. Any
takers this go around? If I can assist anyone in this goal, please let me
know. I am not a hardcore C/kernel programmer, but I am willing to assist
in any way I can.

Thanks,
Mike