From: Paul Sladen (vserver_at_paul.sladen.org)
Date: Fri 11 Apr 2003 - 12:33:25 BST

On Fri, 11 Apr 2003, Dinesh Mistry wrote:
> What differences are there between your kernel and the current release
> ctx-17?

They are completely incompatible; even the syscalls names are different.

It would probably be helpful if Alex would state this; and/or at least make
an *effort* at kernel-interface compatibility, so that the userspace admin
tools could be used with either set of kernel code and vice-versa.

Alex's patches are *not* ``s_context/vserver''. Nor compatible, currently.
(I hope this may change as I prefer Alex's approach in some places).

Perhaps one of the first things to do would be to use a different name for
the Alex codebase so that the impression is not given that they are /merely/
Red Hat shipped-kernel versions of Jack's `s_context'.

Admittedly they started out as simple patches to build with Red Hat supplied
kernels--but they have grown beyond that now. This needs saying, clearly.

The situation could also probably be helped by Jacque's taking patches sent
to him and releasing slightly more often--this would alleviate the desire to
have to maintain forked sets of patches. Even two-line fixes from months
have not got in... It is *fine* to have separate unstable and stable trees.

Yes, this has been bugging for a long time; and it is the first I have said
on either subject.

Alex: please split your patches up. Jack: please take some of the patches.

In Friendship,

        -Paul

--
War is inconsistent with Truth.  Nottingham, GB