From: Cedric Veilleux (cedric_at_neopeak.com)
Date: Mon 05 May 2003 - 07:01:05 BST

Hi,

        I run Gentoo vservers and I have just noticed that the file /var/log/wtmp
inside vservers is growing very large.. On a vserver that has been used for 2
months it is 1.9 GB!

        I am not sure what this file is used for. It is in binary format and seems to
keep a log of logins / logouts of the users.. On the host system, this file
is only 646k..

        Anybody noticed similar behavior? Do you think it is safe to delete these
outrageously large files? Why do they grow so large inside vservers?

Thanks for any hints..

Cedric

Generated on Mon 05 May 2003 - 07:45:28 BST by hypermail 2.1.3