From: Herbert Poetzl (herbert_at_13thfloor.at)
Date: Tue 06 May 2003 - 20:46:40 BST

On Tue, May 06, 2003 at 07:38:32AM +0900, Wray Cason wrote:

> > > It doesn't? I've been using ext3 for years with vserver kernels.
> >
> > i'm using xfs and ext3 with vserver kernels...
> I read somewhere that journaling was not yet supported. That appears to have
> changes as of ctx-17. I am presently running the precompiled vserver -17
> kernel. I see that there is no ext3.o module for my file system. Upon boot,
> it tries to load jfs.o with this error:
>
> /lib/modules/2.4.20ctx-17/kernel/fs/jfs/jfs.o: unresolved symbol IS_IMMUTABLE
> /lib/modules/2.4.20ctx-17/kernel/fs/jfs/jfs.o: insmod
> /lib/modules/2.4.20ctx-17/kernel/fs/jfs/jfs.o failed
> /lib/modules/2.4.20ctx-17/kernel/fs/jfs/jfs.o: insmod jfs failed

this is, because the extended attribute stuff of the jfs
version used within the default kernel has an unpatched
reference to IS_IMMUTABLE

second, jfs is not supported by the IMMUTABLE-LINK-INV.
so you can not use it for unified vservers ...

if you change the IS_IMMUTABLE in the jfs code to
IS_IMMUTABLE_FILE and recompile the kernel, jfs should
work as expected, but with no support for unified vservers.

> I am not clear on what this means exactly for my system. I gather however
> that there is no journaling going on and that this is a particularly bad thing
> for this network RAID1 scenario.

jfs == IBM Journaling filesystem
ext3, reiserfs, and xfs are journaling file systems too ...
xfs is unsupported (reg. unified vservers)

> --
> Wray Cason "Wrayman"
> Auxilium Computing
> www.auxiliumcomputing.com
> wrayman_at_auxiliumcomputing.com
> main: 206-595-2080
> fax: 425-895-9825

Generated on Tue 06 May 2003 - 21:06:30 BST by hypermail 2.1.3