From: Cathy Sarisky (cathy_at_acornhosting.net)
Date: Mon 16 Jun 2003 - 20:17:21 BST

It should not work (unless you've set the S_CAPS to allow it) within a
vserver. Vservers by default don't get to talk to the kernel.

Someone else may chime in and tell you what capability you need to assign
to allow the vserver to modify iptables, but I can think of many
applications where you would not want to do so.

HTH - Cathy

On Mon, 16 Jun 2003, Hans-Juergen Schwarz wrote:

> Hello List,
> I got a problem with iptables. It should use the kernel to work, but it
> does not within the vserver. Im running a debian vserver on a Debian
> Host with 2.4.21-ctx17.
> a iptables -vxnL on the host works ok. On the vserver I get the
> following message:
>
> iptables v1.2.6a: can't initialize iptables table `filter': Permission
> denied (you must be root)
> Perhaps iptables or your kernel needs to be upgraded.
>
> Any ideas? Thank you very much for help.
>
> Hans-Juergen

Generated on Mon 16 Jun 2003 - 20:36:25 BST by hypermail 2.1.3