From: Cathy Sarisky (cathy_at_acornhosting.net)
Date: Tue 17 Jun 2003 - 16:20:18 BST

Ok, so that does resolve error message (/usr/sbin/vserver: virtual:
command not found), but it appears my problem is larger.

I'm still seeing a failure to bind to the second IP if the first has
already been bound. For example, with Apache:

[Tue Jun 17 11:06:27 2003] [crit] (98)Address already in use: make_sock:
could not bind to port 80

Same flavored message with AOLserver. They're definitely trying to bind
the second IP, and a netstat -ant shows ONLY the first IP already in use.
Attempts to connect to the service on the second IP fail, so I don't think
the service on the first IP actually is listening on both.

I stopped and restarted the vserver with no change in symptoms.

Thanks for any further ideas,

Cathy

On Tue, 17 Jun 2003, Cathy Sarisky wrote:

> Absolutely spot-on, Herbert, thank you. *Blush* I went through
> /usr/sbin/vserver with a fine-toothed comb looking for SOMETHING that only
> happened with multiple IPs, and missed the missing # in my config file.
>
> On Tue, 17 Jun 2003, Herbert Poetzl wrote:
>
> > On Tue, Jun 17, 2003 at 04:02:17AM -0400, Cathy Sarisky wrote:
> > > Hi list,
> > >
> > > I have a vserver with 3 IPs assigned to it.
> > >
> > > Starting or entering the vserver gives the following error message (in
> > > triplicate):
> > >
> > > /usr/sbin/vserver: virtual: command not found
> >
> > # grep -rnI virtual /usr/sbin/vserver
> > 2:# This is a script to control a virtual server
> > 180: echo " build : Create a virtual server by copying the packages"
> > 182: echo " enter : Enter in the virtual server context and starts a shell"184: echo " exec : Exec a command in the virtual server context"
> > 185: echo " suexec : Exec a command in the virtual server context uid"
> > 190: echo " running : Tells if a virtual server is running"
> > 247: # Create a minimal dev so the virtual server can't grab
> > 299:# Select the IP number assigned to the virtual server
> > 332:# virtual server at boot time
> > 377: echo Starting the virtual server $1
> > 500: echo Stopping the virtual server $1
> >
> > I guess the '#' from line 332 is missing, but do
> > not necessary look in /usr/sbin/vserver, because
> > line 332 is actually copied into each <name>.conf
> > in /etc/vservers ... probably you untentionally
> > deleted the '#' from there ...
> >
> > hth,
> > Herbert
> >
> > > It does set ipv4root correctly, and binding 0.0.0.0 results in it
> > > listening on all 3 IPs.
> > >
> > > However, attempting to bind the second IP with the first one bound gives a
> > > message that the address is already in use.
> > >
> > > This is vanilla 2.4.20 with Jacques' ctx-17 patch, no other modifications,
> > > with RedHat 7.3 on the host and virtual server. (Custom compiled kernel -
> > > for highmem - but nothing different from other servers where multiple IPs
> > > works ok.)
> > >
> > > I'm using vserver-0.22-1, installed from the rpm.
> >
> > I assumed, the one from Jacques page ...
> >
> > > Has anyone seen something similar? Suggestions? I don't see where in
> > > /usr/sbin/vserver this error message is coming from.
> > >
> > > Thanks!
> > > Cathy

Generated on Tue 17 Jun 2003 - 16:41:16 BST by hypermail 2.1.3