From: Roland Moriz (roland_at_moriz.de)
Date: Thu 26 Jun 2003 - 05:27:43 BST

Hi,

Am Don, 2003-06-26 um 05.03 schrieb Herbert Poetzl:
> On Thu, Jun 26, 2003 at 03:32:44AM +0200, Martin List-Petersen wrote:
> probably he believes he would understand perl better
> than shell scripts, or ...

i think you can write more structured perl code than shell scripts. but
please - I don't want to start a holy war :-)

> > that can't be done i a shell script ?
>
> reasons for not using perl (or any other script
> language) for the vserver script:
>
> - sh is available on _all_ systems

perl too. I don't know a linux distro without perl.

> - vserver hooks are probably shell scripts too

indeed. most script actions are "system" calls even in perl.

> reasons agains using shell scripts:
>
> - overhead is high (forks, I/O, etc)

i don't think that this is important because noone really runs that
amount of concurrent vserver scripts.

> - simple things often need complicated solutions

sometimes. :)

with kind regards,
Mit freundlichen Gruessen,

Roland Moriz