From: Matthew Nuzum (matt_at_followers.net)
Date: Fri 27 Jun 2003 - 15:32:01 BST

I'm not one of the vserver developers, I'm merely a user, but I have a
philosophy when it comes to fixing things... If it's not broken, don't fix
it. Instead of saying, "let's rewrite the vserver shell script in a new
language," say, "I wish the shell script would do ___x___, I know it can
easily be done in __lang__, does anyone know a better way?"

Then, if it is decided that __x__ is a worthy feature, it can get put on the
to-do list. If it's deemed more important than __m__, __n__, __o__ and
__p__ it will get quick attention. If it is not as important, then someone
who is not already busy should volunteer.

There is a time for refactoring (http://www.refactoring.com/), and there is
a time when "quick and dirty" is just fine. BTW, I noticed there is no
official to-do list posted on the website. I've helped a few other open
source project set these up. My preferred way is using a wiki because it's
easy to manage, although I'm writing an even better tool called pVigil
(http://pvigil.sourceforge.net). Regardless of the tool used, I'd strongly
suggest using something to ensure that important tasks get done before
un-important tasks.

This particular request strikes me as un-important simply because there
doesn't appear to be a reason to re-write it. Instead of flooding the list
with possible languages that can be used and the merits of each, the list
should focus on the reasons for re-writing.

Just my $0.02,

Matthew Nuzum | Makers of "Elite Content Management System"
www.followers.net | View samples of Elite CMS in action
matt_at_followers.net | http://www.followers.net/portfolio/