From: Herbert Poetzl (herbert_at_13thfloor.at)
Date: Mon 30 Jun 2003 - 12:22:06 BST

On Mon, Jun 30, 2003 at 11:39:05AM +0200, Joshua Moore wrote:
> Herbert Poetzl wrote:
> >Joshua Moore wrote:
> >
> >>I'm having odd problems:
> >>I got ssh out but not in. I was having working on the addressing
> >>problems, because I'm within a large organization with very specialized
> >>networks. (Theory 1)
> >
> >hmm, must be a very special network that
> >ssh-ing in will not work *medidating*
>
> With the "v_sshd" or "ListenAddress" changes, I'm fairly confident that
> I could get ssh in working. It's more that I wasn't sure if I could make
> the changes without interrupting anyone else's services. (We have NFS,
> sge, and various other daemons running.)
>
> >xterms on the physical machine? so you
> >mean vserver enter locked your machine?
>
> Yes, but not exactly. I can log in to terminals; I get the /etc/motd;
> then everything freezes. No prompt, no further reactions. A similar
> freeze results from "vserver v1 exec".
>
> >very interesting, try from the text console ...
>
> I tried from all but one; I needed at least one to "sync;reboot".
>
> >what the hell is a networked user?
>
> A networked user is one who's /etc/passwd, /etc/group, /home, etc. is
> all either yp'ed in or nfs-mounted.

ahh, okay, chances are good that one of two
things happened ...

 - you have more than one IP addresses in the
   physical server and you ypbind only gets
   the wrong (first) address
   (enable logging, search for timeouts)

 - same as above, but either for routing
   or for nfs (which results in the same
   service timeout) nfs and/or portmap are
   using the wrong ip ...

solution: use a v_portmap, v_ypbind, v_nfs
and make damn sure that they specifically use
the address you need ...

hth,
Herbert

> >as networked??? user or as local user?
> >if former, I would guess this is related to the
> >unknown thingy above ...
>
> Currently I only start vserver's with root.
>

> Thanks again,
> Josh.

Generated on Mon 30 Jun 2003 - 12:33:57 BST by hypermail 2.1.3