From: Herbert Poetzl (herbert_at_13thfloor.at)
Date: Fri 04 Jul 2003 - 23:52:18 BST

On Fri, Jul 04, 2003 at 12:29:41PM -0700, gdecourt_at_yahoo.com wrote:
> Herbert,
>
> Sorry for the confusion, so I will better explain the
> situation:
> - do you have one or many valid internet addresses
> available?
> ==> I just have one valid internet address available
> - which services do you want to run/provide?
> ==> I want to have all my vservers providing
> (serving) web pages, FTP, emails, MySQL... services
> like this ones to the internet, better explaining, I
> want to provide hosting with this servers and some
> others, and make this available to all the internet
> (and do that in each vserver).
>
> - do you want to work/hassle with NAT?
> ==> Sorry, but I didn't get what you mean with that.
>
> I think that my second answer explained what I want
> to achieve...but anyway I will try express myself more
> clear: I want to each vserver runs apache, mysql, and
> other services provided in a hosting solution, and I
> want this services to be available to all the
> internet. My problem is that I just have one valid
> internet address to do it, and the vserver system
> requires one internet address to each vserver, so,
> what should I do?

more on this below ...

> I hope that now I solved the confusion.

yes I understand now what you want, but this is
not possible ... why? simple explained:

imagine you have two virtual servers, each equipped
with one apache listening to port 80 (http port)
and waiting for requests from the internet ...
(this is not possible at all, but just, let us assume
it is), now some browser connects to your ip address
and requests a page, which apache will get the request
which will provide an answer? so there are some
solutions for a limited number of ip addresses, like
name based virtual hosting for apache, which allows
you to serve many domains with _one_ apache server
on _one_ ip address, (if all www.xxx.yyy domains
point to this address), similar approaches are possible
for email and ftp (with some magic in the login names)
but not for mySQL or other DB services ...

anyway, with vservers you will _not_ be able to
have two or more apaches listening to the same
address/port combination ...

what you should do?

there are several solutions possible:

 - get more ip addresses
 - use virtual hosting for apache, postfix, ftp ...
 - use different ports (80,81,82,83,84 ...)