From: Herbert Poetzl (herbert_at_13thfloor.at)
Date: Tue 08 Jul 2003 - 17:34:10 BST

On Tue, Jul 08, 2003 at 05:34:23PM +0200, Lars Braeuer wrote:

> Herbert Poetzl wrote:
> >
> >you are not using the patched quota tools, are you?
> >anyway, repquota within the virtual server often shows
> >too much, because it gains it's information from the
> >quota files ...
>
> yes, I'm using the patched quota tools in the physical server, but not in
> the virtual server. so is it necessary to use the patched tools in the
> vserver too?

no, not necessarily ...

> >>here's the output from the hostsystem (repquota -aug):
> >
> >that is the reason why I prefer 'Virtual' and 'Physical' over
> >vserver and host, so mpex resides on the 'Physical' part.
>
> yepp. but this user has been present since I setup the system.
>
> >>User CTX used soft hard grace used soft hard
> grace
> >>---------------------------------------------------------------------------
> >>root -- 1841640 0 0 70414 0 0
> >>daemon -- 16 0 0 6 0 0
> >>man -- 536 0 0 29 0 0
> >>lp -- 12 0 0 3 0 0
> >>mail -- 64 0 0 19 0 0
> >>news -- 8 0 0 2 0 0
> >>mpex -- 328 1000 1500 6 0 0
> >>identd -- 4 0 0 1 0 0

up to here its physical usage/space with names asociated

> >>#4043 0 -- 644 0 0 59 0 0
> >>#200 0 -- 584 0 0 83 0 0
> >>#505 0 -- 5148 0 0 274 0 0
> >>#573 0 -- 454248 0 0 33443 0 0
> >>#3009 0 -- 2512 0 0 305 0 0

up to here its context 0 (physical) but no names associated
(no entries in /etc/passwd, unusual but possible)

> >>#0 2 -- 4 0 0 0 0 0

this is root within context 2 ...

> ok, now I installed a fresh virtual server on an LVM device. vrsetup is
> using /dev/vroot/1 for this vserver (I guess using one vroot device per
> vserver is the way to do it). I copied the patched quota-tools 3.08 to the
> vserver. right after entering the vserver I ran quotacheck -augvm and
> quotaon -augv.

I must admit, I've lost the thread ...

- are you using the lvm/loop based approach or
  do you want quota on a shared partition?

- for lvm/loop based approach, you would use
  one vroot device per lvm lv or loop, to
  block unwanted access and permit quotactl
- for the shared approach, one vroot device
  per shared partition should suffice ...

#0 4 is root in context 4 (as the patched tools report)
#1000 4 is the user with uid 1000 in context 4

if the user with uid 99 in context 10 writes to a file in
/path/to/dir (quota enabled) this will natually account for
user #99/10 (in the physical view) but should be reported
as user #99 (in the vserver view, quota & edquota)

> so is it right that everytime a user does something he's recognized by the
> quota system and put in the quota.user file? this would also explain the
> next output.
>

> after editing the quota of user "virtual01" with edquota it looks like this:
>
> User CTX used soft hard grace used soft hard grace
> #0 4 -- 3 0 0 3 0 0
> #1000 4 -- 5 10 0 4 0 0
> #8 4 -- 1 0 0 1 0 0
>
> if the uid is the same as in /etc/passwd than user must be "mail".

it is the actual user, this is the uid used within the virtual
server, so whatever /vserver/<name>/etc/passwd contains with
uid 8 is the user you are searching for ...

HTH,

Generated on Tue 08 Jul 2003 - 17:56:21 BST by hypermail 2.1.3