From: Ola Lundqvist (opal_at_debian.org)
Date: Fri 11 Jul 2003 - 10:20:55 BST

Hello

On Wed, Jul 09, 2003 at 04:15:41PM +0200, Herbert Pötzl wrote:

> Hi Ola!
>
> On Wed, Jul 09, 2003 at 11:41:14AM +0200, Ola Lundqvist wrote:
> > On Sat, Jun 28, 2003 at 04:13:23PM +0200, Christian Mayrhuber wrote:
> > *SNIP*
> > > Vserver is relatively new on Debian and is not part of the
> > > stable distribution. It is only in testing and unstable for now.
> > > Those packages moved the /vservers directory to /var/lib/vservers
> > > in order to comply with the debian standards.
> > > You should be able to recompile the vserver .deb for stable
> > > by yourself.
> >
> > If you want precompiled you can find them on http://debian.opal.dhs.org/.
> > I usually place the backported version there when I upload a new
> > version to unstable.
> >
> > The move from /vservers to /var/lib/vservers was to comply with LSB
> > which RedHat and others wants to comply to as well. The neat thing
> > is that you can configure the location in /etc/vserver.conf.
>
> is there some documentation about the changes/usage for debian?
> maybe a short how-to for setup or anything?

The changes is avaiable in the source patch that comes with the debian
sources. The extra usage is available in /usr/share/doc/vserver/README.Debian
when you have installed it. It is also in the debian dir when you have
unpacked the tarball and patched it with the source patch.

See packages.debian.org/vserver

> > > Running vserver on debian is as stable as it is on any other
> > > distribution. It is very comfortable to build
> > > a new vserver with the newvserver-debian script from Paul Sladen
> > > and Mark Lawrence. You will have to edit it to suit your needs.
> >
> > There is actually a script inside the package nowdays.
>
> what about server unification, how was this solved?

It is not. Unfortunatly.

> I would like to get some infos from somebody who
> actually runs a debian host/vserver combo, maybe
> with multiple similar vserver and unification?
>
> > Regards,
> >
> > // Ola
> >
> > > If you want to install a system to let it run once it's installed,
> > > good security updates without much effort and
> > > you do not need the latest software releases, then Debian's
> > > stable distribution is for you.
>
> what about security updates in regard of unification?
> any comments/infos are welcome ...

That is really not a easy thing to fix. All help is appriciated of course.

Regards,

// Ola

> > > I personally don't know Gentoo, or the latest RedHat/SuSE, I've
> > > never felt the need to try them after the
> > > switch to Debian 1.5 years ago.
> > > --
> > > lg, Chris
>
> best,
> Herbert

/  opal_at_debian.org                     Annebergsslingan 37      \
|  opal_at_lysator.liu.se                 654 65 KARLSTAD          |
|  +46 (0)54-10 14 30                  +46 (0)70-332 1551       |
|  http://www.opal.dhs.org             UIN/icq: 4912500         |