From: Martin List-Petersen (martin_at_list-petersen.dk)
Date: Mon 28 Jul 2003 - 06:05:20 BST

On Mon, 2003-07-28 at 03:38, Herbert Pötzl wrote:
> On Mon, Jul 28, 2003 at 01:22:28AM +0100, Sam Vilain wrote:
> > On Sun, 27 Jul 2003 23:57, Martin List-Petersen wrote:
> > > I use the first board that came out: Tyan Thunder K7, with onboard SCSI.
> > > There is support for ATI and Matrox video adapters in the binary kernel,
> > > some V4l stuff, some extra NICs beyond the onboard 3c920 ones and some
> > > other stuff that might come in handy.
> >
> > Cool. Well, I'm tossing up between that board (S2492?) or the Thunder
> > K7PRO - which has a gigabit ethernet on board and U320 SCSI 8-). It's
> > either that or the S2880 (dual Opteron).
>
> hmm, why the sudden run for AMD?
> please, dont get me wrong.
>
> I have been working the last year with various
> AMD systems (single/dual athlon) but I'm not
> really satisfied ... next thing I'll try is a
> dual Xeon, probably the Thunder i7501, with
> U320 and dual GB nic ...

Ehehe .. this probably ends out in a religious war. :o)

Dual Athlon is performance wise really neat, however what still bugs it
the temperature, that these processors generate. It makes them really
usable in 1U or 2U rackmount servers.

I personally use the Dual Athlon as a Power Workstation as you probably
also can see from my configuration. For servers i also tend to go for a
Xeon, though the Opteron get's interesting.

Regards,
Martin List-Petersen
martin at list-petersen dot dk

--
I never cheated an honest man, only rascals. They wanted something for
nothing. I gave them nothing for something.