From: Alexander Goeres (agoeres_at_lieblinx.net)
Date: Tue 05 Aug 2003 - 12:47:46 BST

Hi!

Had the same or similar problem some days ago: some vservers lost their names,
doing "vserver xxx stop" didn't seem to work, it claimed to shut down all the
vserver processes but then it stopped with a message like "init: timeout
opening/writing control channel /dev/initctl".

Solution was to do a "vserver xxx stop", change to the directory
/var/run/vservers and delete (or rename) the file "xxx.ctx". After that I
could restart the vserver with "vserver xxx start". The vserver started
normally, new who he was and all the neccessary services worked on startup.
On startup the vserver created a new file "xxx.xtx"

Everything was all right again. I don't know what caused the problem (only 3
of 14 vservers had it) and I don't know why the solution worked. Perhaps
vservers can get hikkups..???

Greetings

Alexander

Am Dienstag, 5. August 2003 02:12 schrieb Roderick A. Anderson:
> when it's got no name or /etc/vserver files!
>
> Not quite sure how it happened but I how have an unlabeled vserver - just
> a context number and nothing in /var/run/vserver directory. Is there a
> method besides shutting down all of the vservers and restarting them to
> get rid of this annoying little thingy.
>

> Rod

lieblinxNET
     we do software