From: Roderick A. Anderson (raanders_at_acm.org)
Date: Wed 20 Aug 2003 - 11:45:54 BST

On Wed, 20 Aug 2003, Herbert Pötzl wrote:

> > In this case nothing I can tell. The message file was pretty slim.
>
> this doesn't necessarily mean that your case is
> with the 10%, does it?

No but it irritates me to no end when I can't find _some_ indication of
the problem. BTW, I just checked the system and see it is down again. A
cron job that was scheduled for 1:00 AM did not run so it went down
earlier.
   When I get into the office I'll have to see if anything shows up.

> ahh, sorry, but I guess you'll get used to it,
> probably very soon ...

Sooner and sooner. With last nights crash I'm going to have to so
something. This system runs our tracking system. The real bummer is I
now am wondering about the hardware. We 'acquired' several systems and
almost every one of them has had problems. Unfortunately since Linux has
a reputation of running well on almost hardware I get these systems and
the Windows machines are new hardware.
   I have other vserver systems running older kernels that stay up for
months (usually they only get rebooted when new hardware is added or a
cabinet gets reorganized.) So I can't say at this time if it is the newer
kernels or the hardware. It could also be the programs/prcesses I'm
running but my impression was a veserver process is pretty much
isolated/protected from taking the whole system down if there was a memory
leak or some such. Is this (mostly) true?

> well, a day is a good start, usually people tend
> to start memtest, sit around for 5 to 10 minutes,
> until the fascination of increasing numbers and
> changing patterns subsides, then abort the test,
> only to claim "I did a memtest, everything was fine!"

Well I have sometimes ran it for a little as 3-4 hours.

> you should look at it from a more optimistic
> perspective: if you are prepared, and fate decides
> not to strike your system down, isn't that a win too?

I'm a firm believe in the 'being prepared' talisman. If you have the
tools/supplies to survive you almost never need them.

Well I didn't get them in place soon enough this time. As mentioned above
the server is down again.

Thanks again,
Rod