From: Herbert Pötzl (herbert_at_13thfloor.at)
Date: Wed 27 Aug 2003 - 12:43:19 BST

On Wed, Aug 27, 2003 at 09:07:52AM +1000, Lucian Daniel Kafka wrote:
> At 05:29 PM 26/08/2003 +0200, you wrote:
> >> Herbert, I guess I am after some assurance that if we start using
> >> vservers in our hosting environment, the servers won't crash,
> >> lock, or do anything unexpected.
> >
> >can't never ever give you this kind of assurance ;)
> >everything over 10-20 lines of code, can't be proven
> >logically correct, so this is wishful thinking ...
>
> I know - been coding for about 20 years now...
> But you know what I mean...
> "good enough" :)

well, "good enough" ... 8-)

> >> Also, I have trailed today the 22-ctx17a + vserver23 and it didn't
> >> really worked.
> >
> >guess you experienced some of the changes and/or features
> >introduced recently ... but they are mere cosmetic warnings
> >and/or kernel misbehaviour not vserver problems ...
> >
> >the chrootsafe() message is a compatibility fallback, because
> >the author decided to publish tools (0.23) which use/provide
> >some features, not (yet) supported by the patches ...
> >
> >and if you've seen ulimit() messages, those are the result
> >of recent changes in kernel behaviour, but there is a fix
> >available ...
>
> Is this to be released as a new ctx version? Can I suggest you have a link
> on the front page to the latest "stable" version, otherwise picking up a
> patch is just a guess in the dark without knowing that is has been tested,
> etc.

there will be some rearrangement in the pages soon ...
until then, you'll have to guess, search or simply ask ;)

http://www.13thfloor.at/VServer/patch-2.4.22-ctx17a.diff.bz2
(newest stable kernel release patch)

http://www.13thfloor.at/VServer/patches-2.4.22-p10c17/16_ulimit-unfix.diff.bz2
(fix for the ulimit 'problem')

you'll have to live with the chrootsafe() message for now,
but if you want, you can remove it from the tools ...

> Kind regards,
>
> Lucian Kafka
> www.conexim.com.au

Generated on Wed 27 Aug 2003 - 13:06:23 BST by hypermail 2.1.3