From: Roderick A. Anderson (raanders_at_acm.org)
Date: Fri 29 Aug 2003 - 22:39:31 BST

On Fri, 29 Aug 2003, Herbert Poetzl wrote:

> since 2.4.x and for 2.5/2.6 the uid/gid values are
> 32 bit each, so UID32/GID32 are default (no reason
> to limit them to 24bits).

Even better (and bigger :-)

> vservers and contexts require to'tag' files with
> context ids/tags ... and this can be done by either
> using some of the uid/gid bits or otherwise unused
> space in the on-disk inode structures ...

OK, then is it possible to use this feature to span vservers from the main
server. Currently I'm resetting the UID/GID MIX/MAX in each vserver so
they can be unique across all vservers. I use the context (assigned per
vserver) as the - upto - first three numerals ie., UID_MIN 3100, UID_MAX
3199. Gives me a clue when I'm really tired which vserver's disk space
I'm looking at from the main server. I'm hoping to discover a way to
blend/mix all the passwd files so I get user ID 'xyzzy' when listing files
for the 'xyzzy' vserver's main user - xyzzy.
  Maybe I'm chasing rainbows with this idea.

Rod