From: Herbert Poetzl (herbert_at_13thfloor.at)
Date: Sun 31 Aug 2003 - 23:38:58 BST

Hi Jon!

On Mon, Sep 01, 2003 at 12:08:31AM +0200, Jon Bendtsen wrote:
> Herbert Poetzl wrote:
> >To Potential Testers!
> >
> >updated the Context Quota Stuff to cq0.06 (and 2.4.22)
> >and added a per context Disk Limit dl0.02 to enable
> >virtual disk limits per context (per quota hash) ...
>
> i'm not really sure i understand why you and others spend so much time
> on the quota stuff.

because there is a big? demand for this features ...
at least I think so ... 8-)
(hey providers, speak up now!)

> Because even if you install alot of services inside
> a vserver, i doubt that you'll use more than a max a GB, and proberly
> half.

one of the advantages of vserver (and contexts) is
that they can share resources ... no provider will
build his system with 4G x 100 disk space only because
he sells up to 4G vserver spaces ...

> The stuff that takes up space is content, and that can NOT be
> shared across vservers. (personaly i use one LV from the LVM system
> for each vserver).

but consider about 50-80MB per vserver shared ...
how many times does this fit into 2GB?

> I would imagien that the stuff that limits how many vservers you can run
> on a single system is memory

exactly, memory and cpu context switching ...

> , though perhaps the new 64bit computers
> will change that, but then maybe cpu is the problem. How many vservers
> can you run at a production system anyway? 10? 100? 1000?

if you use shared partitions and have many vserver
of the same kind (e.g. RH 8.0 or MDK 9.1) you can
have up to 100 vserver on a decent SMP hardware with
2GB RAM but only 10-20 on separate partitions ...

why? because they will map the non unified files
into memory (shared, cache, buffers ...) and you'll
fill up your RAM pretty fast ...

HTH,
Herbert

> JonB

Generated on Sun 31 Aug 2003 - 23:57:49 BST by hypermail 2.1.3