From: Alex Lyashkov (shadow_at_psoft.net)
Date: Wed 03 Sep 2003 - 16:59:59 BST

Hello Matthew

> I’m installing a new vserver and it’s on a computer that has special
> hardware and often times special jobs. I’m using RedHat 8 as my host and
> I’ ve used Alexey Lyashkov’s script for building a redhat kernel rpm.
>
> At first, things were really not working… then I realized I hadn’t rebooted
> with the new kernel. ;-) So, the things worked better after that. I was
> able to build a new vserver ok, but now I can’t start it. When I try, I
> get this error:
> Server testserver is not running
> Can't set the ipv4 root (Bad address)
hm. i think you use old version vserver script and tools. please install
vserver2-tools.

> I checked dmesg and found this message in the boot log:
> s_context_status_write: can't open file .vservers
if this message found once - please ignore. i know about it but it not
problem.

> Here’s what I’ve installed:
> vserver-admin-0.22-1
> kernel-2.4.18-27.7.vserver
> vserver-0.22-1
> linuxconf-1.31-1.i386.rpm
> linuxconf-gui-1.31-1.i386.rpm
> linuxconf-lib-1.31-1.i386.rpm
> linuxconf-util-1.31-1.i386.rpm
> linuxconf-X-1.31-1.i386.rpm
> gnome-linuxconf-0.65-1.i386.rpm
you install vserver2-tools ? what answer "whereis vifconfig" ?

> I’ve recompiled the src rpm for the vserver tools so that it should match
> what’s on my system. When I do
> chbind --ip 192.168.0.10 sleep 1
> I get:
> Can't set the ipv4 root (Bad address)
it`s not compatible with my patch. please use vifconfig for managment virtual
network.

> I’m not sure what this means… Any help is greatly appreciated. By the way,
> I have several other vserver’s running fine… This is the only one I’ve done
> using the “rebuilding a redhat kernel” process. (which I’m doing to ease
> the process of installing other software)

Eh.. my patch not full compatible with original vserver - i wite about it many
times. Some utimites can be not working - chbind as example.

--
With best regards,
Alex