From: Dariush Pietrzak (eyck_at_ghost.anime.pl)
Date: Tue 23 Sep 2003 - 17:12:22 BST

> > [root_at_7261 script]# vi config.inc
> > bash: fork: Resource temporarily unavailable
>
> > Any reason ?
>
> probably you have used up all available
> processes ... and now you can't start another
Hmm.. yeah, the question is - why/how come?

 I used to get this often when I run vservers with ulimits set, it seems
that there is something wrong with counting number of processes, it looks
like this:

  I've got limit of 20 processes, I've got 5 and when I try to fork 6th
I get fork: Resource tempor...
 I raise the limit to 120... still not good
 I raise the limit to 220, it works ok now.
 WTF?
 But then I do ps aux|wc -l.. and it's roughly equall to the limit the
 system tries to enforce.

 Soo, it seems like it's counting all the processes inside vserver, or
something like that.

regars,

--
Mayoi komuno wa Usuyami no sekai, Dariush Pietrzak
Key fingerprint = 40D0 9FFB 9939 7320 8294  05E0 BCC7 02C4 75CC 50D9