From: Lance (lists_at_terragon.com)
Date: Wed 15 Oct 2003 - 19:09:10 BST

Hello,

I have recently started working with vserver and I love it! It's a
great tool!

I am using it as a way to backup my standalone servers. My goal is to
have a vserver clone of each of my standalone servers. In case of
failure, I can turn on the appropriate vserver and it can stand in for
the standalone server until repairs are made.

As a test, I created a vserver (vserver <name> build) so I would have
the basic setup and config files for the vserver. I then tarred and
gzipped one of my servers, copied it over to the vserver I had created
and untarred it. I disabled all of the inappropriate startup scripts,
replaced the /dev directory with a /dev from an existing test vserver.
I replaced /etc/fstab and /etc/mtab as well.

I started the vserver up and it worked fine. However I noticed that
when I issue a 'ps', the shell hangs (no output) and I have to issue a
Ctrl-C to get back to the prompt.

Also, when I shutdown the vserver (vserver <name> stop), I get a bunch
of error messages like:

pidof: can't read sid from /proc/17/stat

pidof: can't read sid from /proc/96/stat

pidof: can't read sid from /proc/526/stat

pidof: can't read sid from /proc/597/stat

Questions:

Am I using the best method for converting a standalone server over to a
vserver?

Why doesn't 'ps' work within my new vserver?

What is causing these pidof errors? Do I need to replace the /proc
directory with one from my test vserver?

Thanks,

Lance

Generated on Wed 15 Oct 2003 - 19:38:36 BST by hypermail 2.1.3