From: Sam Vilain (sam_at_vilain.net)
Date: Fri 07 Nov 2003 - 16:44:17 GMT

On Fri, 07 Nov 2003 03:17, Chandra Seetharaman wrote;

<... in the middle of the CKRM core patch...>
 #define __NR_tgkill 270
 #define __NR_utimes 271
 #define __NR_fadvise64_64 272
+#define __NR_set_tag 273
+#define __NR_res_ctrl 274

My, you've picked the same SysCall number as the one that the Linux
Vserver project has reserved!

What a co-incidence, because we should be working together as we're
approaching facets of the same problem :-). We do virtualisation, you
do resource management.

We have 273 set up as a Virtual Server `syscall switch'. Our current
stable development stream that includes the switch[1] is against
2.4.x. Take a look at how we've set up the syscall switch - it's
extensible and forward thinking, and could easily accommodate CKRM's
calls.

We currently use this syscall for virtualisation purposes; things like
hiding processes, blocking inter-context signals, limiting bind(),
etc.

We've also got a CPU scheduler that works for the O(1) kernel, that
allows you to set the desired CPU usage level for a context with soft
limits, along with a syscall to adjust the priority [2].

Is there any chance of co-operation here? If you will let us extend
CKRM for virtualisation, we can share the syscall and end up with a
super-duper virtualisation/resource management system for Linux! And
SysAdmins will appreciate coherance between the numbers used for each.

1.
http://www.13thfloor.at/vserver/d_release/v1.1.0/patch-2.4.23-pre9-vs1.1.0.diff
2. http://www.vilain.net/linux/ctx/split-2.4.22-ac4-c17g2/

--
Sam Vilain, sam_at_vilain.net

If youve seen one redwood, youve seen them all. RONALD REAGAN