From: Enrico Scholz (enrico.scholz_at_informatik.tu-chemnitz.de)
Date: Fri 07 Nov 2003 - 22:53:33 GMT

lyn_at_zolotek.net ("Lyn St George") writes:

> vserver-0.26 tools
>
> would these be the ones to use together, or should I be looking
> at 'util-vserver-0.24'?
>
> Is there a document somewhere listing the difference between these
> toolsets, and situations where one would be preferred over the other?

Currently, there are not very much user-visible differences between
util-vserver-0.24 and original vserver-0.26.

util-vserver has (or should have) everything which is in vserver, but
its core-utilities are plain C and it is automake based. It contains
small enhancements and supports the new syscalls (vserver 1.1.0+).

For list of enhancements, see the news-section of the savannah side
(http://savannah.nongnu.org/projects/util-vserver/).

Future versions (current alpha branch, or those with micro-versions
>>100), will have huge changes in the userspace (see the list in the
first news-posting), but there will be still a certain legacy support.

The new core functionality (vserver building + starting) is nearly complete,
but it lacks documentation, support for non RH based distributions, and most
management tools (vunify, vstat, ...) were not ported yet.

Enrico