From: Roderick A. Anderson (raanders_at_acm.org)
Date: Tue 11 Nov 2003 - 22:38:10 GMT

Well I have returned to one of my near an dear topics - copying vservers.

I have been all over this, back to messages posted in Jun, then those this
month. And guess what? I can not get any of the methods to work. I
suspect one or two things. Not enough memory, 256 MByte with seven
vservers running lightly loaded, or because the reference server is based
on another vserver that was created from the main server then stripped
down, I have some file sharing issues.

Question is is there a way to make all the shared files into the real
thing files?

FYW, I have tried these three methods and got errors and/or the process
aborted.

   (cd /vservers/ref && tar -cf - .)|(cd /vservers.new/ref && tar -xvpf -)

   cd /vservers.new
   mkdir ref
   cd ref
   dump 0f - /vservers/ref/ | restore rf -

   rsync -av --progress --partial --delete --sparse --exclude "*/proc/*" \
        /vservers/ref /vservers.new/ref